SUCCESS & INNOVATION
KAPE is well-regarded for its ground breaking work in education. Early Grade Reading Benchmarks, Child Friendly School methodology, and Information & Communications Technology (ICT) applications.
KAPE and its partners are working hard to make change happen. "Firsts" and other achievements include:
- First girls’ scholarship in Cambodia (now a government program)
- First Child Friendly School pilot (now government policy)
- An activity menu which supports Child Friendly School programming
- Reading benchmarks for Grades 1 - 3 (now adopted by MoEYS)
- First comprehensive life skills curriculum for secondary schools
- First digitized reading textbooks
- The first charter school pilot in Cambodia, leading to provisional New Generation School Policy (pending approval)
Through the establishment of New Generation Schools (NGS) in Cambodia, KAPE and its partners (the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport and the Franks Family Foundation) seek to create a new development track within the public education system that will lead to the creation of charter schools with new standards of accountability and governance. This new standard of education in public schools will also help Cambodian youth think critically and acquire skills for the 21st century workplace. KAPE is also partnering with tertiary institutions in Cambodia and Thailand, providing scholarships which help vulnerable Cambodian children, particularly girls, acquire vocational skills geared to 21st century jobs through STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) programs.
KAPE will continue to collaborate closely with the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport and our international and local partners on innovations which help Cambodian children and youth to acquire the basic reading and literacy skills and acquire 21st century skills, all so essential to their future success in life.